Lying on a plateau embellished by volcanic peaks is this city of Central Anatolian Region, which was called "Nahita" in the Hittite period. Since its foundation, it has been a commercial center, standing on the ancient trade route between Anatolia and the Mediterranean.
Much later, the land was taken over by the Seljuks, who filled the city with many works, presenting the exquisite Seljuk artistic and architectural styles. One of the important remains from those years is the Alaeddin Mosque, which is really the most beautiful monument in Nigde, with its wonderful stonework over the ornate portal. From an inscription found here, this elegant building is understood to have been constructed in 1203, and was later restored during the reign of Alaeddin Keykubad I. The citadel in the area is the same, owing its current condition to the Seljuks, and constitutes another interesting sight, with a clock tower inside.
Other historical remains in this district are the Sungur Bey Mosque and his tomb, which belong to the 14th century with Mongol rule prevailing; and the Hudavend Hatun Mausoleum built in 1312. The 15th century Ak Medresse constructed by the Karamanli Turks is still another, and is now converted to an archaeological museum displaying the findings from the area. Besides the city, the towns of the province of Nigde also hold many remarkable ruins from these early periods.
Aladaglar, 70 kilometers north, and Bolkarlar, 75 kilometers south, are mountaineering, trekking and winter sports centers. "Kardelen Flower" is the unique flower which survives and comes out, penetrating the snow in the winter.
Bor, 14 kilometers south of Nigde, was a residential center of the Hittites, and possesses signs from those ancient times, along with monuments from the more recent ages, like the old Ottoman "bedesten". It has also a huge reserve of borate mines.
5 kilometers south of Bor, is Kemerhisar, which was an early site of the Roman city of Tyana. Together with the aqueducts used by Romans, some Hittite ruins are to be found in the environs of this town.
Gumusler, is another place of historical importance, 9 kilometers along the Nigde - Kayseri road. A Byzantine monastery and church are still standing, dating back to the 10th and 11th centuries. High columns and walls covered with frescoes feature the rock monastery and these well-preserved buildings are appropriate sites for sightseers.