Ararat, or Mount Agri, is the highest mountain (5,137 meters - 16,853 feet) in Turkey where the tradition says that Noah's Ark landed after the Great Flood. The mountain, permanently glacier-capped, is in fact a dormant volcano which last erupted in 1840.
On this expedition you can share the excitement felt by those climbing Ararat in search of Noah's Ark. The program is focused on the ascent of the mountain. There is also a day to acclimatize by ascending to 4,200 meters, then returning to base camp.
This program offers a relatively easy climbing to the summit for people who are in good physical condition and are comfortable to hike in high elevations, you don't have to be a professional climber. However we strongly recommend that some preparatory hiking in the high mountains should be done before participating in this tour.
Day 1 — ARRIVE Van / Dogubeyazit
Meet at Van airport and transfer to Dogubayazit (approximately 2,5-3 hours drive) via Tendurek Volcano. In the afternoon, there is the possibility to visit (at extra cost) 17th century Ishak Pasha Palace. You will also have briefing about the expedition by our leaders and team in the hotel and have dinner. Overnight at hotel in Dogubayazit. (D)
Day 2 — Cevirme Village / CAMP I
Drive up to Mt. Ararat by van or truck (approximately 2 hrs drive) to the start of the trek at 2,200m. After walking 4-5 hours you'll reach the base camp (Camp I) at 3,350m (10,990ft) and overnight. Ascend 750m. (B-L-D)
Day 3 — Acclimatisation Day
Acclimatisation day up to 4,200m at Camp II. Trekking up in the mountain for about 6-7 hours. Overnight in the same camp site at 3,350m. Ascend: 900m / Descend: 900m. (B-L-D)
Day 4 — CAMP II
Trek up to the second camp site which will take 4-5 hours walking. Camping at the intermediary camping site at 4,200 meters (13,780 feet), just before the summit slope. In the evening you will have a short briefing about the personal skills and the summit attempt. Ascend 900m. (B-L-D)
Day 5 — SUMMIT ATTEMP
Weather permitting, very early ascend to the summit of Mt. Ararat (5,137 m - 16,853 ft) and walking on the glacier routes. From the summit, at sunrise you'll be able to see the summit of Mt. Elbruz and the little Ararat. Descend to Camp II for overnight. Total ascend and descending for 9-10 hours. Ascend: 937m. Descend: 937m. (B-L-D)
Day 6 — CAMP II / Dogubeyazit
Descend down to Cevirme village via the first camp site, trekking about 5-6 hours. You'll meet the truck near the village and drive down to Dogubayazit. Time at leisure in the afternoon and overnight at hotel. Descend: 2,000 m. (B-L-D)
Day 7 — Dogubeyazit / DEPART Van
Transfer to Van airport for your flight. (B)
(B) Breakfast - (L) Lunch - (D) Dinner
Regular group tours to join have set dates in July only, depending on the permission of local authorities.
For private groups up to 16 people, different dates can be arranged in the Summer but early application is very important. The best period would be end of July and August.
- During this programme, only 2 nights (beginning and end) will be spent at the hotel in Dogubayazit town, other overnights will be spent at camp tents.
- The program and dates might be changed depending on weather conditions or lack of participants or because of local authorities, please double check the date and program just in case.
- For foreigners who'd like to climb Mt Ararat, there are special permissions that has to be taken from local authorities because the mountain is under a strict permit procedure. We handle these permissions in your behalf but we need your passport copy at least 70 days before the tour. Please keep in mind that permit and licensed mountain guides are mandatory to climb Ararat.
- For Ararat Expeditions we provide climb permits from authorities, experienced mountain guide, kitchen services and meals during the trek (B for breakfast - L for lunch - D for dinner), all ground transfers as in the program, transfer of the equipments, two nights hotel stay in Dogubayazit, tent accommodation during treks, tent & mattress, personal safety equipment (helmet, ice-axe, crampon, harness), general security equipment (ropes, carabines, etc.), porters carrying personal belonging (max 15 kg / 33 pounds per person) with mules and trucks between camps, First Aid kit, entrance fees for parks. We can also arrange your domestic flights in Turkey (Istanbul - Van - Istanbul flights for example), at extra cost of course.
- You should bring your personal camping equipment (sleeping bag, backpack, walking sticks or trekking poles etc), mountain clothing (gore tex, fleece, etc), mountain boots, hat, gloves, socks, sun glasses, sun protection (minimum 30 factor), small knife, duffle bag, water bottle, head lamp, one locked carabiner and aid-rope (5mm) of 1,20 meter for clipping in the fix rope if necessary, etc.
- For Ararat treks, it's required that you are in good physical condition, experienced on long and high treks, and that you have appropriate gear (clothing, boots, etc). We also advice that you have a good health insurance covering these kind of treks. No technical difficulties are along the regular route of Mt Ararat. Our team assists the participants on the traverse of the high glacier plateau.
- Mount Ararat expedition can be done if permitted by official authorities only. No one is permitted to climb solo or with unauthorized parties, strict rules apply.
- The expedition group can be a maximum number of 16 participants!
ALL TRAVEL SERVICES FOR THIS TOUR ARE BEEN ARRANGED BY A GOVERNMENT LICENSED & RELIABLE TRAVEL AGENCY