Alisar Höyük is an ancient site located 45 km (28 miles) south-east of Yozgat province, at 1010 meters (3313 feet) above sea level. Its history is dating back to 4th millennia BC, to the Copper Age (Chalcolithic period).
Originally Alisar Hoyuk was a simple village with square houses made with mud-dried walls. It flourished in the 2nd millennia BC during the Assyrian commercial colonies. During the early and mid-bronze ages it was fortified with walls surrounding the village and it became an important city during the Hittite period under the name of Ankuwa. The city was destroyed around 12th century BC and lost its importance after the Phrygian occupation.
The mound is 520 x 350 meters in size and 30 meters in height, thus being one of the largest of its kind in Anatolia. First scientific excavations were carried out by the University of Chicago in the late 20's. Findings from the site, such as cuneiform tablets and terracotta objects, are exhibited at the Anatolian Civilizations museum in the capital city Ankara.